Thursday, April 5, 2012

Play ball!

This is Owen at his first Red Sox game, in September 2009, when he was 7. The good guys beat the Orioles, 10-0, behind six home runs (five of which we saw before heading home late in the game). We went with Owen's friend Zoe and her dad, Dave, who had the tickets. It was a beautiful night and a great milestone in a kid's life.

I don't remember my first Sox game, but I know I was younger than 7. I'm pretty sure Jim Lonborg pitched, although honestly he might have pitched in another game (or two) that I attended. My family used to go to Fenway once or twice a season when I was a kid. Sometimes we'd go to a nearby Brigham's to get ice cream and branded drinking glasses, a few of which my parents still have.

To this day, the certain combination of freshly mown grass, grilled meats and cigar smoke takes me back to Fenway Park, circa 1972. Always has, always will.

There's nothing like the feeling of walking up the ramp from inside the park and getting your first view of the greener-than-green field, the Green Monster, Pesky's pole, the players SO CLOSE to the crowd. I still get a rush of adrenalin and excitement when I do it today, after countless games.

So here's to another Red Sox season. There will be frustrations, glories, heartbreaks, annoyances, thrills, chills, spills and no shortage of yelling at the TV. But I love it, no matter what.

Wish I could be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment