Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Big City

I'm pretty good with directions when I'm driving or walking around town or in the woods. But for some reason, I get turned around in New York City. After several trips there over the last decade, I've gotten better. But when we arrive on Monday for our third April vacation in a row in the Big Apple, I'll rely on Beth and Owen to steer me in the right direction.

I guess this small-town boy just gets a bit overwhelmed by it all. I've lived in and around Boston for the last 20 years, and feel comfortable in the city. It's big enough to find new places to explore all the time, but small enough to hit a lot of spots in just a few hours.

Even though Manhattan's laid out on a grid, I get confused. I don't take the time to study the layout enough ahead of my visits, so I mix up the avenues and the streets, and lose all sense of east, west, north and south. But I love going there, because there's just so much cool stuff to do and see (duh...).

And of course I love to take pictures there. I'm still trying to master my camera, nearly two years after buying it. I don't read the manual enough, preferring to just wing it and fix things up in the (virtual) dark room later. I plan to read a bit of the new photography book Beth and the kids got me for my birthday, which I hope will result in some cool shots.

I'll post stuff on Facebook during the week, most likely, and will wrap the trip up here afterwards.

In the meantime, here are a few pics from our last two trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment