Wednesday, June 28, 2023

It Came From the Basement: Ramones Alarm Clock

The latest in a new series with which I'm trying to reinvigorate the DaveTronik 2000 blog. In these posts, I will write about an item or items currently stored in the unfinished side of my basement. Many of them have been stashed in boxes for decades, waiting for this moment.

This clock's alarm should just be Dee Dee yelling, "1,2,3,4!" on repeat until you slam it off.

Or better yet, stage-dive off your bed onto it and smash it after a single use.

I believe my in-laws gave me this clock, many years ago. My father-in-law, Rich, is a fellow Ramones fan. When I found that out early in my relationship with Beth, I was stunned and thrilled.

I have to admit that I've never used this clock. It sat in my attic for years, because that's where we used to keep all sorts of stuff that we didn't use or know what to do with. Then a few years ago all those things moved to the basement.

I first heard the Ramones sometime in 1982-83, when I discovered college radio and punk rock. During my college years, I saw the groundbreaking Queens-based quartet four times, at the Agora Ballroom in West Hartford, Connecticut, and perhaps at a club in New Haven. The shows were always a blast, as my friends and I slammed and skanked around the dance floor, pushing off people and doing our best to avoid getting pegged by stage divers.

I loved watching the band in "Rock 'n' Roll High School," the 1979 movie featuring PJ Soles, Vince Van Patten, Clint Howard, Mary Woronov and Paul Bartel. I only owned two of their records -- Rocket to Russia and It's Alive, the latter a live album -- but considered myself a pretty big fan during the 1980s into the '90s.

My college band, The Toastmen, included "Blitzkrieg Bop" in our set list for a number of shows. It was always a blast to play.

I want to wrap up this piece with a video that combines my musical taste from 40 years ago (!) with an artist from the Now Times that I'm into:

No comments:

Post a Comment