Saturday, November 15, 2014

Ex-ska-use Me While I Type This Up

Been skankin' 'round da kitchen while listening' to lotsa songs from '60s Ska Explosion, and one a' dem been buggin' me, cos I know da tune but can't place it.

OK, enough of me trying to be all Jamaican. The compilation is pretty great -- dozens of tight, danceable, fun Jamaican tunes from the '60s. One of the songs, "Miss-Ska-Culculation," sounded familiar right away, but it took me a little while to realize why. Listen to it:

Recognize it? I knew it was an old surf tune, but I had to look it up to discover that "Miss-Ska-Culation" is a cover of The Chantays' "Pipeline."

'

Originally titled "Liberty's Whip," according to Wikipedia, the song was renamed "Pipeline" after the members of The Chantays saw a surf movie featuring the Banzai Pipeline in Hawaii. Other artists who've covered the song include Dick Dale, The Ventures, The Eagles and Anthrax.

Here's a cool version by Agent Orange:

No comments:

Post a Comment