Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ain't That Odd

Perhaps like many of you, I first encountered the Odd Fellows via this R.E.M. song. I don't recall how many listens it took for me to ask myself, "What the hell is Odd Fellows Local 151?" I figured the group was similar to the Kiwanis Club or the Rotary Club, and didn't think more about it for years.

But on a recent excursion to Dedham, MA, to drop off tax information for my accountant, I walked past this place:

I decided I needed to once and for all find out just who these folks are. Seems the Odd Fellows are similar to the Masons. They believe in a supreme being, value "Friendship, Love and Truth," and they strive to make a difference "in the lives of people in our World."

Apparently, they also love using capital letters unnecessarily in promoting their beliefs on their web site, as well as intricate symbols that owe their design to medieval England and perhaps the Olympics.

The Odd Fellows -- and its related group, the Rebekahs -- do good work in their communities -- offering scholarships, low-interest student loans and grants, low-cost nursing homes for the elderly, family and youth summer camps and annual donations to charities, according to their web site -- but I still find humor in their dress and symbols.

Like the Shriners and Masons, they love fez hats. And ceremonial swords and staffs and vests and the like.

Actually, the more I think about it, I get it. The Odd Fellows and like-minded groups enjoy dressing up and having a good time, but also helping people. So it's like a Halloween party, except instead of holding the bash at someone's house with jack-o-lanterns, talking skeleton heads and candy galore, the Odd Fellows get a little bit medieval, a little bit Turkish bazaar and little bit Skull & Bones and hand out money and services to those in need.

A little strange, but not so odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment