Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Subterranean



I've taken so many pictures of Boston's subway system, I don't think I'll ever have enough time and space to post them all. I've posted countless albums on my Facebook page documenting the numerous trips I've taken on the MBTA with my son, Owen. I've also posted a bit on my other blog, The Backside of America (see August 30, 2010, "Going Underground").

Owen likes the different types of trains, especially on the Green line -- well, he used to before he got completely and totally absorbed in Mario Kart. On our trips, I've always taken more interest in the stations, the people and the surrounding scenes on the above-ground portions of our trip.

All the shots in this post are of a mosaic in the Park Street station on the Green line. The work of art was created in 1978 by Lilli Ann Rosenberg, who passed away earlier this year at the age of 86. One hundred ten feet long and weighing in at 12 tons, the mosaic depicts the history of the Boston subway system.

















No comments:

Post a Comment