Friday, October 14, 2011

They Say It's Your Birthday!

Hall of Fame pitcher Jim Palmer turns 65 on Saturday, October 15th. Funny guy Norm MacDonald will be 47 on Monday.

But more importantly, my niece, Grace, turns 8 on Tuesday the 18th, and my brother, Steve, will be the big 5-0 on Thursday the 20th.

This past weekend, Beth and I flew to D.C. for a surprise birthday party my sister-in-law, Tonya, threw for my brother. Held at the massive and well-appointed Gaylord National Harbor Hotel, the bash featured loads of dance music, a fun quiz game, free drinks, good eats and a great time for hanging out with family.



As you can see, despite the fact that more than 80 people were invited, and that Tonya had to convince Steve that, yes, indeed, they were going to see a jazz band in a hotel ballroom, my brother was surprised.

He had a great time, making the rounds several times, dancing like he probably hasn't done in years, and giving a heartfelt speech of thanks to the gathering of friends, family, coworkers and neighbors.

The next day, Beth and I joined my brother, Tonya, their kids, Grace and Isaiah, and my sister and parents for brunch in the hotel. The trip was a quick one, but it was great to celebrate with my big brother and see how well loved he is in his various communities.



Happy birthday, bro!

It was great to see my brother's kids, too. I can't believe Grace is going to be 8. She's such a great kid: smart, funny, a great dancer (a highlight of the party was when she, Isaiah and some friends and cousins hit the dance floor with my brother), artistic and musical. And it's cool to see her excited about soccer and ice skating.

Here's my favorite recent picture of her:



Here's a big happy birthday to you, Grace! Hope we see you and Isaiah, and your mom and dad, at Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment