Wednesday, August 3, 2011

You Ain't B.A.D., You Ain't Nuthin'



Please forgive the title's reference to Weird "Al" Yankovic's "Fat," a parody of Michael Jackson's "Bad." But that video just cracks me up.

Anyway, I went to see Big Audio Dynamite last night at Boston's House of Blues (which is a much different place than the original, Cambridge-based HOB, but let's save that discussion for another time) with my friends Jim and Ken. We ran into my buddy Jay, and we all had a good time. We laughed, we ate, we drank beer (except Ken) and we danced a bit.

I found it funny to be at the show, because I was never a fan of Mick Jones's post-Clash band. I wasn't alone in thinking it odd that I was in the crowd grooving along to "Rush" and others of the band's hits. Ken brought up on more than one occasion before, during and after the show, the fact that in the late '80s I had taken great pleasure in making fun of B.A.D.

I joined Jim because his lovely wife, Nikki, had bought tickets for Jim's birthday. Ken signed on just a day before the show. Although I wasn't expecting much from the band, I have to admit I had a good time. I knew more songs than I figured I would. Sure, I found some of the songs a bit boring and sloganish (is that a word?). But it was cool to see something a bit different than what I usually see, and to have the legendary Mick Jones be the central figure, well that was pretty damn great.

No comments:

Post a Comment